"In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe."


- Michael J. Jackson -

05.08.2026

When did you last let your heart decide?

Some songs don't just play through the speakers.

They find the tiny cracks in your heart and quietly settle there.

For me, one of those songs is A Whole New World from Aladdin. Every single time I hear Aladdin sing,

"I can open your eyes..."

I already feel something begin to stir.

But it is the next line that completely undoes me.

"Tell me, Princess... now when did you last let your heart decide?"

Every.

Single.

Time.

It's as though those words reach into a place inside me that I usually keep carefully locked away. My eyes fill with tears, my chest grows heavy, and for just a moment... I want to let go. To completely fall apart.

Maybe because, somewhere deep inside, I still long for someone who would catch me if I did.

But this isn't a Disney movie.

Real life doesn't pause while the orchestra swells. There isn't always a magic carpet waiting outside the window, or someone who arrives at exactly the right moment with exactly the right words. In real life, we often become the one who catches ourselves.

Yet Disney has always dared to believe in something our grown-up hearts sometimes forget.

That love can be gentle.

That kindness can change someone.

That hope is worth holding onto.

That the impossible isn't always impossible.

Maybe that's why so many Disney songs hurt so beautifully.

"Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" asks whether love can change everything for just one evening.

"Beauty and the Beast" reminds us that "true as it can be... barely even friends, then somebody bends unexpectedly." Sometimes love arrives quietly, without fanfare.

"You'll Be in My Heart" promises a love that never leaves, no matter the distance.

"I See the Light" captures the feeling of finally finding something you didn't even know you had been searching for.

"Love Is an Open Door" may be playful, but who hasn't secretly wished love could feel that easy?

"For the First Time in Forever" is filled with hope that maybe life is finally about to begin.

"Reflection" asks the heartbreaking question of whether anyone truly sees the person behind the face we show the world.

"Go the Distance" speaks to everyone who has ever felt like they were searching for a place where they truly belong.

"When You Wish Upon a Star" whispers the childlike promise that dreams still matter.

And perhaps the line that echoes through so many Disney stories without ever being spoken outright is this:

What if love really could see you exactly as you are... and choose you anyway?

Maybe that's the ache these songs leave behind.

Not because we believe princes ride magic carpets or castles appear overnight.

But because, for a few precious minutes, they let us remember the version of ourselves that still believes love can feel safe. Soft. Steady. Like coming home.

Maybe that's why I cry.

Not because I believe in fairy tales.

But because a part of me still hopes that somewhere beyond the noise of ordinary life... there is a love that feels just a little bit like one.


Just... Thinking out loud... Again..

- Merry - 

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar