The Feeling of Never Being Chosen
There is a particular kind of loneliness that comes from feeling like you are always the one left behind.
Not necessarily alone.
Not necessarily forgotten completely...
Just... never quite the one someone chooses first.
And I don't think people always understand how deeply that can hurt.
Because it isn't always about the big things.
Sometimes it is something incredibly small.
A moment when someone else is noticed, while you aren't.
Someone else's happiness is celebrated, while yours passes quietly.
Someone else receives the attention, the affection, the little gestures that say I see you...
And you don't.
You tell yourself it shouldn't matter.
You tell yourself it is just a small thing.
But when you have felt this way many times before, those little things don't stay little.
They pile up.
One moment becomes another...
And another...
Until somewhere deep inside you, a familiar thought begins to whisper..
Of course I'm not the one they chose.
That is what being overlooked repeatedly can do to a person.
It shapes you.
It teaches you to expect less.
To hesitate before sharing your happiness.
To wonder whether anyone really cares.
To stop getting your hopes up because disappointment feels safer when you expected it.
You learn to laugh things off.
You learn to say, "It's fine."
You learn not to ask for too much.
But underneath all of that is something much simpler.
A longing to matter.
To be remembered.
To be noticed.
To have someone look at you and, without hesitation, choose you.
Not because you begged for it.
Not because you earned it.
Not because you were more useful, more beautiful, more successful or easier to love.
Just because you are you. And because they wished to be with you, appreciate you, choose you.
There are people who may never understand this feeling.
People who have moved through life feeling secure in their place. People who have rarely had to wonder whether they belong, whether they matter, whether they are loved.
And I am genuinely happy for them.
But some of us learn these questions much earlier.
Some of us become familiar with rejection, disappointment, loss and being left out long before we should have had to.
And even when you become strong because of it...
It still hurts.
Because being used to something doesn't mean you stop wishing it were different.
You can become incredibly independent and still secretly wish someone would notice when you need them.
You can learn to love yourself and still ache when someone else doesn't choose you. That you are always last on their mind.
You can know your worth and still feel that old sting when you are overlooked.
Both things can exist at the same time.
Maybe that is what I am learning now.
I cannot control who notices me.
I cannot control who chooses me.
I cannot make someone see the value in me if they are determined not to look.
But I can choose myself.
I can stop measuring my worth by the attention I receive.
I can stop assuming that silence means I am unimportant.
I can keep celebrating the little things.
Keep loving loudly.
Keep showing up.
Keep being soft, even after life has given me plenty of reasons to become hard.
And most importantly...
I can make sure the people I love never have to wonder whether they matter.
Because I know exactly how that feels.
To be the one standing there, quietly wondering:
"Why am I never the one?"
Maybe I will always carry a little piece of that feeling with me.
Maybe some wounds don't disappear completely.
But I don't want that feeling to define me.
I don't want being overlooked to become the story I tell myself about who I am.
Because I may have been left last before.
I may have been forgotten.
I may have felt invisible.
But I am not invisible.
I am here.
I am worthy.
I am still capable of loving, dreaming, creating, giving and growing.
And perhaps the most important person I can learn to choose...
is myself...
- Merry -
Ingen kommentarer:
Legg inn en kommentar